Zurück zu Willert.de

Harmony/SE Opinions

Harmony is a process supported by Rhapsody

Harmony/SE Opinions

Postby swoloschek » November 15th, 2010, 7:33 am

My background is embedded software development and I am not formally trained in Systems Engineering. However, I am involved with a new product program where we are trying to use the Harmony/SE process to develop the architecture.

We felt it would be a good way to describe the requirements/interfaces/operations of the system for the subsystem teams.

Has anyone successfully deployed the Harmony/SE process within their organization? What are the pros/cons?
swoloschek

Re: Harmony/SE Opinions

Postby rskelding » December 29th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Pros: SYSML is more easily understood by non software people than UML. In particular, in my experience, functional decomposition with activity diagrams seems to resonate with engineers working on a large aerospace project. What works best is to meet with domain experts and get them to help put together use case scenarios, sequences and activity diagrams. Then... you make an executable model with the information you have gathered.

Cons: Harmony wizards currently have many quirks that you have to work through or around.

Follow Dr Hoffman's deskbook, and work on the models in small reversible steps. And ... make small pieces of the model executable as quickly as you can. Do not, repeat do not, draw a "complete" model and then try to get it to execute.
rskelding

Return to Harmony