Zurück zu Willert.de

Harmony Hand-off

Harmony is a process supported by Rhapsody

Harmony Hand-off

Postby Scooter » November 11th, 2010, 3:05 am

Ok, I must be missing something here. I have gone through the Harmony process, to the point where the deskbook just ends. Now what? I have a system level model and now do I make multiple lower level models, going from blackbox to whitebox decomposition. I can go a few iterations to get to the end part, and with each iteration, do I simply start the Harmony process on that lower level model? I am not concerned with embedded systems, but am building an architectural model that when executed 'simulates' the system at different levels (depending on which model you execute). And finally when all models execute as expected, which means requirements should be good to go, we will use Test Conductor to help out our testing of the system(s).

It just seems as if the Harmony process just stops at a single iteration of blackbox to whitebox decomposition, and this is where I get lost. Any help would be appreciated and I am sorry if I have not explained my situation well, but I am an Engineer. :roll:
Scooter

Re: Harmony Hand-off

Postby shanz » November 11th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Yes the handover is a grey area.
Isn't there an appendix which suggests how further design-level decomposition could be added to the original system model.

I advise having 2 system models, one which is pure specification and another which has design decisions.
For instance the interfaces can be elaborated with arguments. Trace the new interfaces to the original interfaces for Gateway to pick-up.
Then hand off the later's relevant packages (as REF) to the individual subsystem models.

The individual subsystem models can then do a similar process but starting with the operations allocated to them rather than any use cases.

You could make Gateway see Use Cases as requirements in the two system models, and Operations as requirements in the subsystem models.
shanz

Postby Farquad » November 11th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Are you following the Hans-Peter Hoffman handbook?
Farquad

Postby Scooter » November 11th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Shanz, I understand what you are saying. Pick up with the operational allocations and WB AD/SD. From that point, I assume you simply decompose as far as needed?

Farquad, I am following Peter's handbook. I get to the end, and there seems to be a few chapters missing! Who done it?

Thanks guys for your help.
Scooter

Postby Farquad » November 11th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Coming from a software background I'm more tuned-in to Bruce Douglass's Harmony. You would think that the two should be the same but Bruce's view is more tailored to get all the way down to executing code. Hoffman's Harmony is aimed at traditional Systems people.
Farquad

Postby Scooter » November 11th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Am here I am, stuck in the middle. Do you think I can gleem good stuff from Bruce's work? is his work offered free or do I have to buy a book?
Scooter

Postby shanz » November 12th, 2010, 11:49 am

I have always thought that Hoffman's Harmony (SE) https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/groups/service/html/communityview?communityUuid=dbc39547-3619-4c31-9535-0b583a4e6190
is for the early system effort before handover to Douglass' Harmony (SW) process on each software subsystem model.

The book to get for Harmony (SW) is Real-Time-Agility by Bruce.

http://books.theregister.co.uk/catalog/browse.asp?id=112372&group=6058&subcat=14&cat=B

As for switching architectures (in my case CAN cards), I have resorted to replacing objects in the builder object model diagram before. Obviously both CAN cards conform to the same interface.
shanz

Postby Farquad » November 12th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Many of us are doing this stuff but it's a big subject.

The context around any particular aspect is not always clearly understood.
Farquad

Postby Scooter » November 23rd, 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanks guys. I will get Douglass book and see if it helps.
Scooter

Return to Harmony